NICOLE'S REVIEW: Antigoddess by Kendare Blake

Antigoddess - Kendare Blake

Antigoddess is not your typical gods-and-humans story and among all the books that I've read that take from Greek mythology, this is easily my favorite.

The gods are dying slow, horrible deaths. The pantheon has divided themselves once again and are waging war on the both sides. Caught in the middle is Cassandra, reincarnation of the Greek prophetess that Apollo oh so loved. She just doesn't know it yet. So when her dreams and visions start getting bloodier and there's a strange sense of foreboding thrumming through her veins Cassandra knows that something bad is about to happen. The dying gods believe that she is the key to their survival and they will do anything, kill anyone to get to her.

I've been a fan of Kendare Blake books ever since she broke my heart and scared me to death with Anna Dressed in Blood and Girl of Nightmares. So there was no second-guessing about whether or not I should give Antigoddess a go.

The author does well in portraying the Greek gods and goddesses. They're selfish and destructive and stubborn to a fault. The fact that they have all these powerful abilities that they use to further their cause - which usually involves a whole lot of death and destruction - makes them near impossible to contend with.

I wasn't exactly fond of the characters except maybe Aidan and Hermes. Cassandra is, I'm not sure how to describe it, but she's distant at best. I felt like I didn't really get to connect with her and enjoy her as a character but somehow I was totally okay with that.

Athena on the hand I did like. She's everything you'd expect from the goddess of wisdom and warfare - strong, capable and ruthless. But as the story progressed, like Hera and her cronies, Athena is afraid to die and she's not going to take her death simpering like a damsel in distress. But I got to this point in the story where, after a certain incident involving Cassandra, I got pissed at her. I mean, there she goes again doing whatever she wants, what she thinks is right and damn all the consequences. I kind of wished everyone would just leave Cassandra alone but where's the fun in that right?

I loved the mood of the story, and paired with Blake's vivid explanations of the gods' slow deaths, made fore a pretty creepy read. Desperate gods and a reincarnated prophetess on the brink of war? Bring it on. Although I have to say that the ending was pretty painful and if I didn't love my copy of Antigoddess so much I would have tossed it against the wall while simultaneously bawling my tiny eyes out. I am definitely looking forward to the next book.

Source: http://thetwinsread.blogspot.com/2013/11/nicoles-review-novel-nails-8.html