NICOLE'S REVIEW: In the After by Demitria Lunetta

In the After - Demitria Lunetta

It happened so suddenly, on a day like any other, They came. Ravaging cities and towns; decimating the entire human population save for a few stragglers. Amy is one of them. She's been surviving and hiding from Them for years now, along with Baby, a toddler she rescued from certain death. But a series of events lead to her capture, or rescue rather, and takes her to New Hope. It's like a dream; food and safety for all but underneath that pristine exterior, New Hope's system is far from perfect. Run by a man who wants everyone brainwashed to his cause. And unless things change, Amy's future is at stake.

Now I like the first half better than the second. It's grittier, darker and more thrilling. Amy's got no one to depend on but herself and Baby and each time they venture out of their house for supplies is a risk. You see the aliens that attacked earth? They're very sensitive to sound and Amy had to learn to keep very quiet or die. The thrill was there, the fear of the unknown and it was dangerous. Oh was it dangerous. I liked every second of it.

Upon entering New Hope though, things start to change for Amy. After years of being on her own it's not the easiest to be stuck in a compound bound by a set of rules. There are a few surprises along the way and romance. The romance was not for me, but I understood why Amy developed feelings for the boy. Even if he is called Rice. If I remember correctly, it's short for Richard? But yeah. After being alone with Baby for so long I guess that seeing a cute boy her age kind of got her hormones working again.

Here's where we figure out what exactly is annihilating the human population outside of New Hope. The origin story for the aliens is frankly, something new and I've never really come across something like this before. It's a little disturbing though, not to mention horrifying but deliciously so.

I'm not giving this book a 3.5 mainly because of the second half. Don't get me wrong, it was interesting and all but there were so many things wrong with the rules set in place. So wrong in fact that it seemed unbelievable. Laughable. But nonetheless enjoyable.

For those who like their sci-fi fast-paced and bloody and gritty then try this. I'm sure it won't disappoint. Last thing though, I'm really not fond of the name Baby. It's just. I don't know. It doesn't sit well with me.

Source: http://thetwinsread.blogspot.com/2014/06/nicoles-review-in-end-by-demitria.html