NICOLE's REVIEW: Black Dog by Rachel Neumeier

Black Dog - Rachel Neumeier

I was hoping to like Black Dog, I really was. But it's not exactly easy to get into a story that's slow and really, really confusing.

Before Natividad's parents died, they forced Natividad and her siblings to run to the Dimilioc black dogs to find refuge. When they do, it's not an easy thing to gain acceptance into the pack, what with her parents' killers right behind them and a forced mating between Natividad and a black dog of her choosing - when she comes of age. But the mating can wait they'll have to deal with the black dogs determined to kill them first.

Natividad is boring. It's so hard to write about a character that's boring because while I don't loathe her, I don't like her either. She just fades into the woodwork, you know? Like she isn't even there. I don't even get why she's so special. I mean, she's a Pure. And so? Ezekiel is the black dog who's sniffing around Natividad's heels. I so wanted him to be interesting, but he just wasn't. He's domineering and possessive - not unlike the other alpha males of YA - and he's already claimed Natividad as his and they've barely spoken to each other. Instant love? not really because despite Ezekiel's attraction, I'm not exactly sure where Natividad stands.

Another thing I was surprised about was the dual POVs. I wasn't expecting that. They switch between Alejandro - Natividad's older, black dog brother - and Natividad. Alejandro's parts are somehow repetitive and I had to stop myself from skimming through them because what if I end up missing some important detail, right? Ugh. No. They were full of Alejandro trying to control his powers, hating on Ezekiel, worrying about his siblings and basically second guessing all his decisions.

And you know what hurts? How slow the story was. At one point I felt like it was an endless trek through tons of decision making, arguments, dominance challenges and posturing. The plot wasn't very engaging despite this being a new twist on the old werewolves and witches tale. There was little to no back story too, there was mention of vampires if I'm not mistaken but their role in everything is vague at best.

I hate that feeling when I finish a book and feel the need to ask what in the world just happened there. That's exactly how I felt when I finished this book, like nothing was actually resolved. Kind of sad if you think about it.

Source: http://thetwinsread.blogspot.com/2014/01/nicoles-review-black-dog-by-rachel.html